Food to cook. Food to eat. Food to love.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

PESARATTU-UPMA.....

...and might I add--->Easy to make!!!

Boy! I am just filled with bliss in my stomach after having pesarattu-upma with ginger chutney.Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!! This is the courtesy of my friend,Sirisha, who just makes these deliciously yummy dishes.My hearty thanks to Sirisha.

Well today I was planning kichidi and tomato chutney for lunch when all of a sudden I was inspired to do pesarratu upma for lunch.Generally,I hear pesarrattus and dosas are all breakfast categories but personally for me,I feel there should be no such set time to make these kind of absolutely tantalising food.My friend came to the rescue immedietly and we set about making pesarattus for lunch.Here I am giving the ingredients on a large scale(feeding 4 people minimum).My little 5 yr old ate the pesarattus with of course maple syrup.haha.
P.S:My photos do not give justice to the taste of the dish...I apologise if the pics are badly presented.

This is the batter:


This is the onion jeera mixture:


This is the pesarattu on the tava:


This is the finished yummy product:




Ingredients:
2 and half cups split pesar pappu(moong dal).Soak it for two hours(approx).Soaking in hot water hastens the process and reduces time.
1tbsp chopped ginger
2 green chillies
salt to taste.
2 finely chopped onions.
Jeera seeds

1.Grind the soaked dal along with green chillies and ginger.Grind to a fine paste.Add a little water and mix it well to loosen it a little bit.
2.Mix onions and jeera seeds nicely with hand and keep aside.
3.Spread one curry spoonful batter on the heated tava and spread it like dosa.After few seconds, sprinkle the onion jeera mixture over it.Let it stay for a few minutes.
4.Before turning the pesarrattu over, add a few drops of oil around it and then turn it.Let it cook for a while and then transfer it to the plate.

Serve with a little upma and/or ginger pickle.It definetly tasted great and I ate to my hearts content..hahaha.I never heard pesarattus or dosas being eaten along with upma but as per my friend, when I wrapped my pesarrattu peice with small amount of upma, it definetly soothed my chilly-seeking senses., and with ginger chutney its absolute heaven for the tongue.
My friend,Sapna,just inspired me to give me a new tag to this dish--NO HURRY,NO WORRY.

2 comments:

Padmaja said...

my first time here and gals u both r so good with ur recipes!!
u'r pesarattu upma is declicious!!
thank u!!

Raj and Ji. said...

Hi Padmaja,
I deeply appreciate your kind comment.Honestly,the credit for pesarattu goes to my friend Sirisha.Your kind comment on our blog really encourages us a lot.
Thanks for stopping by our blog.
Best Regards,
Aparanji.

Contents and Photos © Indian Monsoon, 2007. All Rights Reserved. If you use the contents and/or photos, please give credit and post a link to this site.
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape